Off-road Vehicle (ORV) Permits Obtaining an ORV permit is an easy process that takes only minutes from start to finish. ORV Permits are available online only. Please visit Recreation.gov.
to obtain your permit 24 hours a day. In-person sales are currently NOT available.
The online permit process is as simple as
- Watching the ORV Safety Video to learn best practices for safe and enjoyable beach driving.
- Going to the Cape Hatteras ORV Permit page on Recreation.gov,
- Filling out the online application, and
- Print the permit and proof-of-permit and place them in your vehicle (Annual proof-of-permit stickers will be mailed, but the printed proof-of-permit is good for 30 days). If you cannot print the proof-of-permit, you can pick up a self-certification card from outside our visitor centers or at many local tackle shops. On the self-certification card, simply write in the information from your permit, sign the card, and place on your dashboard.
Two types of permits are available for purchase. They are
- a 10-day Permit ($50, valid for 10 consecutive days),
- or an Annual Permit ($120, valid for one year from date of purchase).
Remember to keep the permit in the permitted vehicle and the proof-of-permit sticker clearly visible on your windshield.View ORV frequently asked questions
and current beach access information
. For specific questions about Cape Hatteras ORV Permits that aren’t addressed on the frequently asked questions page, please contact the ORV Office at 252-475-9054. Please leave a message if no one answers.